Friday, January 13, 2023

New Snowy Truckee Photos

I took a couple short drives into town with the camera yesterday. It was dumping snow but there weren't many other vehicles on the roads so it was actually quite enjoyable. I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle and proper studded snow tires so traction on snow and ice is not a problem for me, it's those other drivers that cause problems...

Because of all the fresh snow, there are hardly any places to park along the roads. Eventually, I found a little pullover along Donner Lake and stopped for a few quick photos of some snowy docks along the shore. This one below was my favorite.

_Q1A8234.jpg

Shot on a Canon 5DS R and a 24-105mm lens. This ISO was 400, the lens aperture was f/8, and it was a quick 1/320 second shot. I wanted to make sure I was able to freeze the frozen snow flakes in the shot.

20230110_140159.jpg

After getting a few dock photos and not much else, I went home thinking I was done. Quill was glad I was back as it was play time for him:

20230110_152126.gif

Later in the day, the sky started to clear and it was looking like it was lining up for a surprise nice sunset. So I grabbed the gear and headed back into town, this time to the Truckee River. Again, parking issues... but I was able to find a business's parking lot near the river so I parked for a few minutes and captured this scene.

Another handheld shot. It's hard to use the tripod and lens filters when it's dumping snow so simple handheld shots are usually best.

_Q1A8321.jpg

Sunset ended up being a bust. It started dumping snow again and the color in the sky did not happen. So, I took a walk in historic Downtown Truckee and ended up with these two keeper images below. I couldn't resist shooting the leg lamp! As a Christmas Story movie fan, I would totally put this up in my living room for a couple weeks out of every year. Wouldn't you???

_Q1A8365.jpg

And a nice scene of one our best restaurants in town, in my opinion. Great food and a great atmosphere there. This is usually a fairly busy corner, but not many people out yesterday.

_Q1A8373.jpg

It's snowing again today. It's that time of year, and fortunately we've been having a big winter. All of our reservoirs should fill up nicely and fingers crossed, the spring wildflowers should bloom big in a few months.

Thank you for looking and I hope you are all having a great day. Cheers!

Scott Thompson
Scott Shots Photography
www.ScottShotsPhoto.com

headshotwlogo.jpg