Monday, February 20, 2023

Icy Alder Creek Photo Adventure With Quill Dog



Quill dog and I got out for a nice big walk recently where Alder Creek flows into Prosser Reservoir, here in Truckee, California. Snowshoes were needed, I also brought my camera and tripod in hopes of having some icy abstract photo fun. Success! I found some interesting ice and little scenes that made for some nice shots. A video of the adventure is above, the "keeper" photos are below.

_Q1A0052.jpg

All of these were taken with the Canon 5DS R and a 24-105mm lens. A tripod was used so I could use a somewhat long exposure, about an 1/8 to 1/2 of second. The ISO was 50 for all of them and the lens aperture was nice and small at f/22. A polarizing filter was used on some of the photos in order to allow me to use a longer exposure than the shots without the filter.

At one spot, I saw that the water was moving in a circle, like a little whirlpool or eddy, and I knew that it might make for a cool look with a longer exposure. Yup! I like the little circular smears that the little bubbles in the swirling water made.

_Q1A0047.jpg

_Q1A0078.jpg

_Q1A0090.jpg

I'll admit, I increased the contrast quite a bit when editing these next two. But I love how the ice was looking spikey, and getting the blacks a bit darker made the ice stand out a bit more.

_Q1A0101.jpg

_Q1A0105.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you are all having a cool day!

Scott Thompson
Scott Shots Photography
www.ScottShotsPhoto.com

headshotwlogo.jpg