Thursday, January 18, 2024

Lat Night's Sunset Above Donner Lake

Well... It was not an easy cross-country ski out to this spot yesterday, above Donner Lake and Truckee, California. The snow was frozen and fairly solid on top, but it was easy to break through that crust and it was soft and powdery underneath. This meant that the skiing was incredibly difficult. I tried taking the skis off and walking but I was sinking in up to my knees, and it was even harder. I almost gave up and went back to the car, but I needed the exercise so I kept on fighting through it. When I got to a favorite overlook spot, I was sweaty and underdressed for the windy conditions. Brrrr.... But it was worth it, the sunset ended up being a beautiful one!

Glacier Sunset Pano-1.jpg

Shot with a Canon 5DS R and a 24-105mm lens. This is a stitched panoramic photo. About 22 vertical photos were stitched together to create one very wide angle image. The ISO for each photo was 200, the lens aperture was f/20, and each exposure was .8 of a second long. A tripod was used, and a graduated neutral density filter was used on the front of the lens.

20240117_163810.jpg

That's a fake smile above, lol! The color hadn't fired off in the sky yet and I was so COLD! The uphill fight back to my car warmed me back up, and when I eventually saw the photos on the computer monitor, I did end up having a genuine smile :)

Thanks for looking and I hope you are all having a nice and warm day!

Scott Thompson
Scott Shots Photography
www.ScottShotsPhoto.com

headshotwlogo.jpg