Saturday, December 30, 2023

New Donner Lake Sunset Photograph

The water level at Donner Lake is fairly low right now, it always is this time of year. They drain it a bit in order to protect the docks and piers around the lake from any ice that forms. I wanted to get a new shot of the boulders that get exposed on the south side of the lake when this happens. So, yesterday afternoon, I walked out to that spot with my camera gear.

While there, I found this rock spiral that someone had built. The lake's water level was perfect for flooding the spiral, but leaving the rocks exposed. As soon as I saw the spot, I pretty much knew that it is were I would be when I set up the gear. Lucky me, we had a nice sunset, and I think I came away with another great photo!

_Q1A3287a.jpg

These were both shot with a Canon 5DS R and a 16-35mm lens. This camera's ISO was 50, and the lens aperture was f22. Two graduated neutral density filters were used on the front of the lens. The settings and the filters allowed me to have a long exposure of about 6 seconds. The long exposure allowed for the ripples in the water to look more smooth, which creates a better reflection.

_Q1A3292.jpg


Yup, once again... A happy photographer!

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 9.24.36 AM.jpg

Thank you for looking and I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Scott Thompson
Scott Shots Photography
www.ScottShotsPhoto.com

headshotwlogo.jpg