Thursday, December 7, 2023

Fresh Truckee Snow!

Yes, I'm excited about the snow this year. We are way behind schedule on the amount of it that we have received. I shouldn't complain after last year's incredible amount of snow that we got. It was a bit much last year... Last night, it started up again so I grabbed the camera and headed down to Downtown Truckee to try to get more Christmas holiday themed photos. Unfortunately, it was mix of rain and snow in Downtown and there wasn't much snow on the ground, but I ended up with this shot of a favorite little art gallery down there anyway. The Piper Gallery exhibits all paintings and sculptures, no photography, but I still love checking out the work there anyway.

7Q1A1456.jpg

Shot with the Canon 5DS R and a 24-105mm lens. ISO 3200, a lens aperture of f/4.0, and it was a handheld 1/30 second exposure. The lens image stabilization was on, and Photoshop's AI noise reduction was used as ISO 3200 produces a lot of digital noise with this camera.

When I woke up this morning, we actually had a little layer of snow around town. It was looking great! Definitely not a large snow storm, but it was nice to see that little bit of white layer on the ground. Everything looks so clean, crisp, and photogenic. So I took a short walk with the camera, across the street to Donner Lake here in Truckee, California.

_Q1A1537.jpg

These were both also shot with the Canon 5DS R and the 24-105mm lens. A much lower ISO of 200 was used. Both were 1/200 second handheld shots, and both had small lens apertures.

The top shot of the dock is a classic Donner look, I like including that sunburst for a little added visual interest. The small lens aperture of f/20 helps create the star effect to the sunburst. I liked the bottom shot of the shoreline and Donner Summit because of the somewhat repetitive patterns to the little lake waves, the shoreline, and the clouds. In my opinion, it created a visual pleasing look.

_Q1A1547.jpg


Yup, I enjoy that snow! We're supposed to get more tonight. Fingers crossed that it will actually be a decent amount but the forecast isn't looking good for that.

20231207_083400.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you all have a great day!

Scott Thompson
Scott Shots Photography
www.ScottShotsPhoto.com

headshotwlogo.jpg

I